Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rode through a swarm of bees today!

Default Rode through a swarm of bees today!

I rode down to Cottonwood Cove / Searchlight to meet friends for breakfast this morning. On the way back I stopped at LV BMW. Not too exciting of a trip.

When I left the dealership, I hit the 215 off the Buffalo ramp at about 70 mph.

Just about the time I hit the freeway I noticed a dark swirl out of the corner of my eye and suddenly I was smashing through a huge swarm of bugs which sounded like pebbles hitting my helmet, bike, jacket and pants. At this point I didn't know they were bees.

Once I got home the entire front of my bike and me was covered with not just bee guts but also sticky gooey honey and my bike and clothes smelled like honey as well. Sure enough I tasted a few of the spots and it was sweet, gross but sweet...even talked the Mean & Evil Jeanne into a taste.

Thankfully I wear a full face helmet and ATGATT; I can imagine how all those bees would have felt to a person with an open face helmet and short sleeve shirt like we see so often; much less the thought of all those stingers.

I guess tomorrow is going to be bike wash day since it took about twenty minutes to clean the goo off just my windscreen and helmet.

RobStar
    R1200GSA - The one I should have bought to start with!
    R1200GS - Yesterday's News!
    F800GS - Sold!

Robert

Why is it that when I press 1 for English I still can't understand the person on the other end?

Default bees

...that would've scared the bejeezus out of me! :lol Glad you are OK.

Wierd you should post this! I believe it was last Tuesday or maybe it was Monday:headscratcher I was sitting at the traffic light at Spring Mountain and Rainbow in the work truck, with the windows up and the A/C going
    I,m looking across the intersection and there is this big mass of bugs swirling around? I'm looking at it closer, like what the hay is that:headscratcher
    As the mass past by the truck I notice, them are Bees:

Africanized:headscratcher

Windows are up

Shew

What a specticule

Makes me wonder though if it was just moving day for a local hive? And could they possible be Africanized Bees?

I was watching a show on TV:talk2 a while back of how the African Honey Bees where brought to America by a scientist in South America back in the
    50's trying to improve the honey yield of thier local Bees. The Afican Honey Bees got loose and are now inter breeding with local Bees in the areas they move to which is giving them the ability to adapt to different climates. The show was discussing how Africanized Honey Bees are predicted to make it all the way to Southern Canada one day. The bad thing is the Africanized Honey Bees can retain the gene that makes them aggresive and attack in a swarm when they feel threatened

Now thats scientific progress!:yikes

But not meaning to scare anyone, the more you know the better off you are, as we need Bees! Its interesting how Bee Keepers perfer some of the strains! Heres a link to a interesting article on Africanized Honey Bees:naughty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africanized_bee

Good reading for the interested!
    Last edited by Mojave Madness; 04-04-2010 at 03:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobStar View Post
    I can imagine how all those bees would have felt to a person with an open face helmet and short sleeve shirt like we see so often; much less the thought of all those stingers. RobStar
    I met a guy in New Mexico at the ADV rally that had a bee stuck to his forehead and didn't even know it. :lol
    My SmugMug...save $5 on a SmugMug account with this: tKOaEps81O7hN

Quote Originally Posted by Norsman View Post
    I met a guy in New Mexico at the ADV rally that had a bee stuck to his forehead and didn't even know it. :lol
    Now that's hard headed!!! :lol
    Dirtbag
    2012 KTM 690 Enduro R "The Wicked Orange Monster"
    2006 KLR 650 "Miss Daisy"
    1987 Honda XL250R "Lil Piggy"
    1996 Kawasaki KE 100 "The Desert Moped"
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ta4MeqW9oqJJMD
    Experience the ride... Experience the adventure... Experience... the KLR.
    Folks... Adventure Riding is more than just a fun day on the trail with ur buddies.... it is also a day of Survival from the type of environment that can kill you.

Yow. One sting looked pretty bad a couple years ago when Erik got stung INSIDE the mouth.

Whole swarm would be... more dramatic maybe.
    Last edited by HHH; 04-04-2010 at 11:20 PM.
    HHH - http://my2wheels.com
    Feet often far from ground. Spot.

so bee guts taste like honey?!?!?

and thanks for posting that pic HHH!!! :dirtdog
    :talk1 Get Out and Ride!! :bike2

http://my2wheels.com Charter Member

New-to-me '93 XR640R - so i can crash faster! braaaaaaapppPPP! . . . . . . . . . . . .
    640 Big Bore kit, Hand Guards, Monster Foot Pegs, Gripper Seat Cover, Desert Talk, Pro Circuit Suspension, Baja Designed Street Legal Kit, Evo Computer, Pro Circuit Full Exhaust, Usual Big Skid Plate, Upgraded Oil Cooler, Mikuni 41mm Carb, Uni Filter, Excel Rims, Fat Bars, Inadequate Rider

Quote Originally Posted by erik™ View Post
    so bee guts taste like honey?!?!?
    It wasn't like bee guts, it was like each one was carrying a small drop of honey. The bee parts exploded off and left the honey drops.

No sure how to tell if they were Africanized or not but I have dozens of the remnants stuck in every nook and cranny of the bike.

RobStar
    R1200GSA - The one I should have bought to start with!
    R1200GS - Yesterday's News!
    F800GS - Sold!

Robert

Why is it that when I press 1 for English I still can't understand the person on the other end?

Quote Originally Posted by HHH View Post
    Yow. One sting looked pretty bad a couple years ago when Erik got stung INSIDE the mouth.

Yikes! Where do you find this stuff Brian

Quote Originally Posted by HHH View Post

So, which pic is Erik?
    If you cant fix it with a Hammer, It must be Electrical