Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XR650L Fork seal and fluid change

Default XR650L Fork seal and fluid change

Does anyone know how many milliliters from the top the fork fluid is supposed to be for an XR650L? KM you know this question is for you. I have tried to search for it and can't find out what it is. TIA

Ken
    1994 Honda XR650L
    2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom

Hope this Helpssss...... Right out of the XR650L Honda Service Manual

IrnBear

Actually this be better for the Old Eyes:

IrnBear

Just remember that is the fluid level measured from the top of the inner slider fully collapsed and with the springs removed.

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBear View Post
    Actually this be better for the Old Eyes:

IrnBear
    So let me make sure I got this right. 145 millimeters from the top. I know how to measure and have the tool. Funny my manual doesn't give that info. It just says 19.1 oz.

Thanks IrnBear for the info. You too skid
    1994 Honda XR650L

No problem Ken.
    Good Luck.

I found this on EBay a few months ago.. Jumped all over it

IrnBear

Now if I can just find one for my ATC.
    The guy I bought my VT from had one of these manuals and gave it to me when I bought the bike

OK I'm a knucklehead. My manual does say that. I was stuck on ml instead of mm, because the syringe I have says ml on it. uh
    I have that manual. Just brain farting.

Thanks for the assistance though.

On another note. When I dumped the fork fluid out it was nasty. Looked as though water was mixed in with it. All gray.

IrnBear, you might want to consider changing your fluid. If you do, I used 10w and have enough left over to do one fork. That is if you want to use 10w. I did some research and us bigger guys need a little heavier weight oil.

If you want to change your seals while your messing with it, I have all the tools to do it. You'll just need to get the seals. Let me know

That goes for anyone else too. I have all the tools for an XR with 43mm forks or any bike with 43mm forks. I have a pretty big collection of tools and like to wrench on bikes. I'm not a god like KellisMech, but I know a thing or two.

Ken
    Last edited by Hatch; 01-24-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: forgot where my brain was again
    1994 Honda XR650L

Quote Originally Posted by HatchXRL View Post
    OK I'm a knucklehead. My manual does say that. I was stuck on ml instead of mm, because the syringe I have says ml on it. uh
    Hey Ken,

ml is the same as cc which is a Fluid Measurement. Thus, fork oil capacity equals 564cc's or 564ml's with your syringe.

mm is a length measurement. Thus, fork oil level equals 145mm. The manual left off the mm though. That measurement I'm guessing is from the bottom of the tube to the top of your oil.

IrnBear

Thank You for the offer on the Oil and Tools. I am a ways from doing any fork work.
    I really do need to do something about that rear spring though. I know I will be bottoming out as soon as I start riding again.

It's what Skid said, measure from the top of the tube to the top of the oil, without the spring and slider full in, collapsed, just a couple millimeters under or over will affect the dampening, A LOT, more=stiffer, less=softer, it is a poor mans way of adjusting spring rates, but don't rely on that, adjust the level to your style, most are happy with the stock oil height.
    Go tto the Racetech site, it has a ton of free info and can help you understand what all that stuff really does.
    Jeff Williams
    1996 XR600R street legal, too much go fast crap to list, but she's bad ***!
    1978 YZ400, in restoration progress, taking forever to get the parts I need. almost done!
    2008 Z1000, fast as HELL!
    call to ride-896-6306 :bounce
    I wrench better than I ride, but I ride anyway

I got it all done before my last post. I just had to pull my head out of my ***. Trying to do too many things at once.
    I must say that just changing the seals and oil made a big difference. Now I have to get the springs to make it perfect.
    1994 Honda XR650L