Thread: Alaska trip in June- Any tips?

Default Alaska trip in June- Any tips?

Liz and I are looking at going up to Alaska this June for our 35th anniversary.

We are not locked in on how or route. I like to look at as many angles as possible before making the final plan.

Options under consideration-

Tow the toyhauler up with my BMW in the truck bed. This allows up to take my dog. It also allows us to carry home away from home. This could become a trip of near a month.

Take the Honda Civic and just hotel for the trip. We would leave the dog home for this. Clearly this would be a shorter trip due to the high costs.

Fly up to Fairbanks and do tourist stuff and then cruise back from Anchorage back to CONUS.

My concerns are-
    Going up thru Canada. After my border experience last year I'm not feeling too hot on going thru the border with a full trailer they can dismantle.
    RV parks or other dry camping up in Alaska. We are hoping to spot next to SIL's place in Fairbanks while they are gone.
    Taking my dog-

I'm looking for any here that have taken the trip that can give me some incites. Some of the bike trip experts will have good info as well.

One of the first places I would check is the RV Forums. See what the Full-Timers got to say. I'll be interested in what you do. I can see a trip in the near future for Donna and I in the Jeep.
    Pain is good, it helps you to find your Happy Medium.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...lCfQC0qm8bqmyS

There's the bike trip in 2010 by jozar and me. Ride recaps (maps and photos) start at http://www.my2wheels.com/forum/showt...r-n-HHH/page15.

The Milepost book was very useful. Lots of details and a nice reference when there is no Internet connection. https://www.themilepost.com/
    HHH - http://my2wheels.com
    Feet often far from ground. Spot.

Out of your three options I would vote for the toy hauler route. Lots of places to pull over and boon-dock for free. And you have the BMW to explore a little bit and get your two wheel fix in. Funny you made this post.. I'm real close to putting in my vacation time for a Alaska trip. If it gets approved I'm going to tackle it on the 690. My plan is mid july and all of august. If it happens maybe we'll cross paths on your way back.

No knowledge to add just my opinion.
    Go the Toy Hauler.
    Why just 1 month?
    You both do not need to be back to work by any specific time.
    Medplt is in Homer now so get in contact with him also.
    Mike

Never do anything that you wouldn't want to explain to the
    paramedics. ~Author Unknown

2007 Blue DL650 V-strom "Suzi"
    2006 Silver DL1000 V-strom "Desi"

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...hcDZ1i9WmEnF71

Toy hauler and cross into Canada somewhere other than I-5. Canada is awesome.
    “The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn’t think to ask.” Jeff Johnson

Duggan's Waterfront Pub in Homer! Bring a buisness card from Tommy Rocker's and swap it for a free drink. At least you could in 2002. I did 11,000 miles in 22 days in 2002. Fairbanks for the summer solstice street party. Rode everyday, stayed in hotels, rode in the rain some. Did the Inside Passage from Prince George B.C. to Haines Junction. Several stops including Sitka. (boat doesn't hit it everyday). Park bike by the door on the ferry so you can get out at each stop to ride for a bit.

A lot of riding to be two up, I wasn't, and I was able to split rooms with a riding buddy. I'm with you on the Canada thing. I didn't leave anything there and have no reason to go back. Lots of hassle at the border, both ways. You can catch the ferry in Seattle, and take it to AK, and avoid customs, as the ferries are U.S. vessels.

If I was doing it again, I would take the RV, leave the dogs, pick a spot and ride the area for a day or two, and move the RV to do it again. No dogs means you can be a night or two out on the bike, you can hole up a little if the weather is bad, and take your time! It's a long way to go to be in a hurry. And you can get the truck and trailer or RV in the ferry.

Up side of doing the whole trip on the bike is you don't have to backtrack much, and can ride the AlCan Highway from Dawson City to Fairbanks. Course you have to deal with Canada. North of Fairbanks is the Chataneeka Lodge. Ask for Ron (hope he's still kicking) to show you a documentary style promo film (converted to tape) from the dredge mining days that was used to promote the dredges to investors in the 30's or 40's. Lots of stories that guy.
    Last edited by lvhdude; 02-19-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
    Out of your three options I would vote for the toy hauler route. Lots of places to pull over and boon-dock for free. And you have the BMW to explore a little bit and get your two wheel fix in. Funny you made this post.. I'm real close to putting in my vacation time for a Alaska trip. If it gets approved I'm going to tackle it on the 690. My plan is mid july and all of august. If it happens maybe we'll cross paths on your way back.
    Not sure if you're looking for someone to join ya but I'm free the time you speak of. Dad's trip is too soon for me to get in on but your time frame is when I'm doing a ride anyways. But that all depends on what type of riding you're planning as I'll be on my GSA 1200 and wouldn't want to ruin your trip if you're planning hardcore riding. I would prefer to stay away from single tracks and any knarly 2 tracks on my big bike, anything else I'd be up for. Let me know if you get your time off and interested in some company.
    Current Bikes
    2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure "Red"
    2002 KLR 650 "Beast"

Previous Bike
    2010 BMW GSA "Sold"
    2008 KLR 650 "Sold"
    2006 KTM 950 Adventure "Sold"

Matt

The Adventure Begins When The Pavement Ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Merk View Post
    Not sure if you're looking for someone to join ya but I'm free the time you speak of. Dad's trip is too soon for me to get in on but your time frame is when I'm doing a ride anyways. But that all depends on what type of riding you're planning as I'll be on my GSA 1200 and wouldn't want to ruin your trip if you're planning hardcore riding. I would prefer to stay away from single tracks and any knarly 2 tracks on my big bike, anything else I'd be up for. Let me know if you get your time off and interested in some company.
    Sounds like the possibility of an epic plan. Being loaded with gear I won't be looking for any single track. But would like to do as much back country routes as time will allow. I just submitted my vacation last night. Should know in a few days if it gets approved. If it does I'll start a new thread... Sorry for the Hijack Dad... But maybe we created a 4th option for you

What do they call motorcyclists in Alaska? Meals on wheels! If you're staying out of Canada, then you can bring a sidearm if you choose. Just an FYI.