Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dad2bike drinks some Starbucks and brings home a 2009 R1200GS

Default Dad2bike drinks some Starbucks and brings home a 2009 R1200GS

It must have something to do with the date...
    On 4/20 I picked up my 2009 R1200GS from Rick up in Gardnerville.

The trip was beautiful. Sights like this most of the day.

I'm not young anymore and those all day road trips just don't work for me. So Sheila and I stopped in Bishop, CA on the way back.

There was a nice dog friendly park next to the motel.

Here's the new steed sitting next to my garage. Darn thing is so big no way it and the KTM can share the garage.

Yesterday I got the registration done and spent a lot of time ordering stuff on the internet.

Now I'm doing more in depth research on what things should be done.

My plans for the time being are to put some riding in and get a feel for the new girl.
    After a bit I'll park it and tear it down like I do with all my bikes. There is quite a list of preventive items that are in need.
    Note- Rick did a fine job of maintenance and record keeping. However some of the items I noticed and researched are in need more due to my OCD about that type of stuff.

I'm already noticing the need to deal with the clutch chatter. In doing that job I will be tearing into areas that will require seals and some greasing and lube. Mostly a maintenance issue.
    From what I've read on the internet doing the clutch will require tearing the bike in half.
    I guess I'm going to get up close and personal with my new girl.

On my wish list is a GS-911 diagnostic tool. That is one expensive little jobby.

Eventually I will be putting up the KTM 950 for sale. Not until this GS is all resolved though.

Thanks for tagging along on this journey.

Welcome to the cult.....I mean club.

I have a 911 you can borrow.
    “The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn’t think to ask.” Jeff Johnson

Thanks. I'll contact you later.

I haven't done much. I did start taking all my electronics off the 950 to move over. I think a bit cleaner install will be accomplished.

Spent the last week and a half getting the bike the way I want it.
    I'll post up some pics tomorrow. Too much clutter on the side for pics tonight.

Done so far-
    New GS Adventure rear rack installed and my JC Whitney top box moved over to it.
    TT GPS mounting rail and my Garmin 276C installed. Powered from the hidden connector up front.
    Radar detector installed on the nifty plate that Rick had made.
    Sirius radio installed
    Charge port for the bike installed on the side.
    Modified the front seat to delete the metal rod across the seat. This makes a bunch of room above the battery to put a tool roll or air pump.
    Lighter plug wired for constant power so I can charge my helmet etc while parked.
    ROX risers installed. Lines rerouted for now. I have a longer brake line coming.
    LED driving lights and separate switch installed with DIY brackets. Took the lights off my 950.
    Replaced the front windshield. Only because I came across one rather cheap on eBay last week.
    Replaced that crazy oil filler plug with the metal one that uses a TORX key. No more special tool.
    Replaced the PIVOT pegs for GS Adventure pegs. (I'll sell off the PIVOT Pegs)
    I have a GS tank bag coming in this week. The bike has a bag. Just not big enough for all the stuff I like to carry up front.

Next is to build up a bike specific tool kit to put on the bike.

Tomorrow I plan to ride the bike to any errands.

You need to obtain a Starbucks frequent diner card. You took parts off a KTM and put them on a BMW, did that make the bike lighter?

"Oh I know I routed it, it doesn't mean it exists!" HHH
    Big Al

The KTM looks about half its size without all that added stuff.
    I'll be selling the bike with some mods left on. Much of the bolt on stuff I took off to sell separately.

Sent from outside my mind.

Pictures as promised
    Cloudy day makes this bike stealthy.

Found good places for the M2W stickers. You can see my SII's here.

I found creative places to reuse the crash bar bags from the 950 and install my helmet locks.
    The other side looks the same. I'm sure glad. These BMW's don't have any storage for tools or supplies.

The cockpit didn't turn out too bad. GPS, V1, Sirius. My SPOT will go on the handlebar RAM mount. I'm considering painting the bottom half of the shield to hide it all from front view.

Here you can see the cool spot mirrors that Rick fabricated. Also the switch for my driving lights.

Front view all lights on. There's one heck of a lot of white up there. Im sure at night it will be blinding

The bike turned out very nice. Time for some long rides!
    HHH - http://my2wheels.com
    Feet often far from ground. Spot.

I successfully moved my KTM long pegs from the 950 over to the BMW. I had to do a bit of modification on the pegs. These are nice and long now.

Tomorrow I take the wheels down to MTC for a set of Shinko's

The PO had Michelin Tourance. Just barely 6000 miles. Yuck.
    I figure to see how the Shinko does. Much cheaper than the Anakee 3 and looks to a bit more friendly to dirt roads.
    Last edited by dad2bike; 05-16-2016 at 06:29 PM.